Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Rhythm

WOW! August the 9th already?

Yes, I've still been running... just about every weekday as normal. It's just that after my run I do a little more exercise, then shower, and then forget to blog about it. :(

Anyway, I DID start marking the time at the proper distances for each mile. This last week has been rather consistent. I don't remember all my exact times, but yesterday's were:
  • 10:22:00 started jog
  • 10:31:30 first mile (9:30)
  • 10:41:00 second mile (9:30)
  • 10:52:00 third mile (11:00) (walk/jog combo)

Today was almost the same...
  • 10:32:00 started jog
  • 10:41:00 first mile (9:00)
  • 10:50:30 second mile (9:30)
  • 11:02:00 third mile (11:30) (walk/jog combo)

I thought I'd post a little about my "rhythm" today. Our heart beats at a natural rhythm, and our breathing takes on a natural rhythm also, so it's not surprising that when we run our stride would take a natural pattern that fits our breathing.

My breathing has become very controlled over the last month, and so I'm going to refer to how I breathe in 3 different stages:

Stage 1 is when I first start out. The in-out of my breathing matches up with the exact time my left foot hits the pavement and is 4 steps in duration. So, when my left foot hits the road I start breathing in. I continue the "in" breath while the right, then left, then right foot hit. Then, with the next LEFT foot hit, I start the exhale, which continues for right-left-right again.

Stage 2 is little faster... and it is breathing in during LEFT-RIGHT-LEFT, then breathing out for RIGHT-LEFT-RIGHT.

Stage 3 is as fast as I breathe during the tough uphill climbs, and it is breathing in for LEFT-RIGHT, then breathing out for LEFT-RIGHT.

Well, just one more interesting thing to keep note of. :)

No comments: